New Plans for New Customers Only

Your first visit? Please click here before attempting to register
Return visitors - click here for important topical announcements
JamesL
Exetel Staff

Re: New Plans for New Customers Only

Post by JamesL » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm

conb wrote:
JamesL wrote: ...is based on promos from our wholesalers who are only interested in new customers.
What about keeping existing customers?
As new customers are concerned, these prices are great, but for existing, if they can't upgrade, they may look at TPG or iinet that are offering the same rates, be it on a 24 month contract, the customers I have that want to upgrade have been with exetel for 5+ years, so a 2 year contract is a no brainer.
Many many current customers don't ever look, of course some do, and they are like the wind, changing providers all the time.

conb

Post by conb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:05 pm

My own service is running on an old AAPT agents only plan, the cost of the plan is great, but my location gives me between 2.5 - 3 mbs.
What do I need to do to get an 8mbs ADSL1 connection with Exetel since I am an existing customer as well as an agnet?

2016 is to long to wait for NBN in my area.

JamesL
Exetel Staff

Post by JamesL » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:39 pm

conb wrote:My own service is running on an old AAPT agents only plan, the cost of the plan is great, but my location gives me between 2.5 - 3 mbs.
What do I need to do to get an 8mbs ADSL1 connection with Exetel since I am an existing customer as well as an agnet?

2016 is to long to wait for NBN in my area.
If you are on an AAPT DSLAM, your services is ADSL2+.

conb

Post by conb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:16 pm

What do I need to do to get on the Telstra ADSL1 plan?

JamesL
Exetel Staff

Post by JamesL » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 am

conb wrote:What do I need to do to get on the Telstra ADSL1 plan?
It wouldn't make a difference.

affinity

Post by affinity » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:32 pm

conb wrote:What do I need to do to get on the Telstra ADSL1 plan?
You will get the best speed that your line supports on ANY DSL2 plan. If your speeds are low, that is your sync speeds, then that is likely to be the result of your physical phone line from the exchange to the premise, at which point there is very little you can do to improve anything; that is, the line is only as good as the line is and unless Telstra can be convinced to "repair" your line if it is out of spec, you are pretty much out of luck.

Alternatively, if you are syncing higher and only attaining low data speeds, then you could look at your modem/filter situation and maybe a product change, but a product change is probably going to make zero difference anyway as James said (but in fewer words). There may be local congestion issues at your exchange, your state, Exetel or one of their links to the Internet. Working out where the /speed/ problem is may take some detective work.

So, what should you do:

1. Check your *sync speeds*, see if restarting your modem gives varying sync speeds ... keep an eye on your speeds and restart your modem if you think the sync speed is much lower than you know you can get at your location -- I often have to restart a modem that drops out and reconnects at around 4000/32 speed, when that happens, the 32 up speed seriously impacts browsing. On this connection, I am lucky to get up to 6mbps (very lucky then) with up being around 500 - 600 [normally].

2. Get a line check done through Exetel (an Optus service is better for this), but if the line reports out of spec, then Exetel might be able to escalate the problem to AAPT whom in turn might escalate to Telstra.

Other than the two above things, there isn't much else you can do without getting a completely new line to work with.

Edit: Oh and another option /might/ be to have a profile assigned to your line -- IT WOULD BE GREAT IF any customer could do adjustments like this within their user facilities as they can with iiNet and perhaps other providers. That is, try a "stable" profile, or regular, thrill seeker or whatever other options might be suitable and be able to change them at will, on the fly, quickly and easily by the end user, without having to talk with Exetel support (but we don't have that option unfortunately).

conb

Post by conb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:35 pm

New plans are now available for existing customers thru their user facility, but it defaults to the option without an agent code.